Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Will changing fuel filter help the cars MPG?

I recently bought a 91 oldsmobile cutlass ciera S it was sitting in storage for 2 years and had old gas in it so I ran Fuel injector cleaners, a bottle of heat and filled with new gasoline, I've checked under the car and don't see any leaks and when i'm done driving I don't smell any gas when I get out of the car. I have had the car for 3 weeks and only drive 15-25 miles per work day and have already spent $600 on gasoline. Any suggestions for better fuel economy would greatly help. I have tried driving freeway and side streets and get roughly the same economy. Also recently I have noticed when I drive to the gas station to add gas there is slight suction on the lid when I am unscrewing it.
Will changing fuel filter help the cars MPG?
Changing gas filter will not help MPG in any way.... but if the filter is partially or completely plugged, will effect the way your car runs.
Will changing fuel filter help the cars MPG?
It can't hurt, but I would look farther, change your air filter, plugs, and gas cap as the cap should be vented and no suction, may have old fuel or trash plugging the vent.