Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How do I know when it is time to change my fuel filter?

I recently purchased a 98 ford windstar. sometimes when I start it up it idles really rough and occasionally dies. when I am stopped (in gear) and I give it a little gas, the tackometer goes up, and then down under 500 rpms and the oil light flickers. it runs fine once I get moving, it's just when I am stopped or going really slow. I was going to put fuel injector cleaner in, but I figured I would check the fule filter too. is there any way to tell if it needs to be replaced?
How do I know when it is time to change my fuel filter?
i would give this baby a complette tune up air filter pcv valve a gas filter plugs and wires and cap and then you know what you got going on under the hood . plus your transmission might need flushed unless you have a record of the last flush .
How do I know when it is time to change my fuel filter?
Since you don't know the mileage on the fuel filter a good gauge is power under load. If you are accelerating and it misses or does not have power that is usually the fuel filter. Because the engine is starving for gas. What you are describing is not fuel filter.
but a filter doesnt cost much.. so do it if you think it needs it. I agree with the guy above/below idk.. eather way
Check the maintenance record on your Windstar. If it still has the original fuel filter on it then have it replaced. If you do replace it, DO NOT use fuel injector cleaner on it until you've had a chance to run a full tank of gas through that filter -- injector cleaner can damage brand new fuel filters. From personal experience I can tell you that I follow my father's advice and have had my fuel filter replaced in every vehicle I've driven every 50,000 miles and have never had a problem. Some people may say that's overkill, but it's not that expensive to change out a fuel filter and a clogged fuel filter can leave you stranded on the side of the road somewhere, so why take the chance?
Good answer LesterM

try and put a new air filter in it it may surprise you
the car is 9 years old..I am amazed at the number never tuned in 100,000 miles..How are the plugs? wires? air cleaner? Look at those first
  • top 10 myspace
  • sexy hair
  •