Thursday, September 15, 2011

My car won't start after Changing the fuel filter.?

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a couple of days ago I ran out of gas. Ever since I then my car will shut off while in reverse and when ever I don't apply acceleration. So today I changed the fuel filter and it started up like normal. I let it sit for about 10 minutes then tried to reverse but yet again it shut off. Now It wont even start. The car will turn on but the engine will instantly turn off if I don't hit the gas pedal. I also added two things of fuel injectors if that helps.
My car won't start after Changing the fuel filter.?
I think you have a failed/failing fuel pump. The pump is in the tank and is cooled by fuel running through it and sloshing around it. When pumps run dry (out of fuel) they don't get cooled as well and consequently fail.



This seems to frequently happen with pumps that have a lot of miles on them...the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.



You could check for this with a fuel pressure test. A fairly easy test, and you can rent the tool at Autozone (for free) and do it yourself. Unfortunately, most vehicles require that you remove fuel tank to access pump, although there may be an access hole on floorboard/ top of tank.
My car won't start after Changing the fuel filter.?
I took off the fuel relay before changing the filter.

This sounds obvious, but did you properly reinstall the relay?



There is nothing special required to re-pressurize the system.

Report Abuse


sounds like your fuel pump. Take a rubber mallet and smack on the gas tank while having someone else try and start it. If it starts its your fuel pump. I should know, Ive owned about 13 of those things :P
did you get it on right? the arrow goes towards the engine. did you bleed the air out of the fuel lines?