Thursday, September 15, 2011

I think my fuel injectors need cleaning or replaced, how can I tell without seeing a mechanic?

I have a 99 Chevy Z-71 PU with a V-8. It spits/sputters at times. But when pulling a loaded trailer with about 3,500 lbs., it runs fine. The truck has 90,000 miles and is maintained. To my knowledge has never had a tune-up. All I've ever done is changed the oil, filter, air %26amp; fuel filter. Is there a simple test I can do myself? I don't mind going to a mechanic but if it's a simple fix, I really need to do it myself.
I think my fuel injectors need cleaning or replaced, how can I tell without seeing a mechanic?
you know people are here to help looks like someone that has been turning a wrench for 46 years would give better advice ..but there is a difference in turning a wrench and being a mechanic .. just get you some injector cleaner the best one on the market is made by lucas it will clean the injectors you wont need to replace them they are not old enough to be replaced you will know when they get that bad beleive me you should tune it up with plugs wires distributor cap and rotor button if the injectors are dirty it will be a good idea to change the o2 sensor as well all the carbon will build up on it from injectors and you will need to replace it anyway
I think my fuel injectors need cleaning or replaced, how can I tell without seeing a mechanic?
buy a crystal ball....or do what everybody else does and see a mechanic...unless you are willing to start your training as a auto tech then by all means, start guessing, but remember all those wrong parts you bought and swapped is education money.
You should be using some injector cleaner every 3-9 months at least, but Lucas oil products makes an injector cleaner that comes in a32 oz. bottle and only uses about 3 oz. per tank that I used after I had neglected to clean mine for WAY too long and was impressed after just a few miles===if you can find it you should try it.
You need a 90,000 mile service!! Change the plugs, the fuel filter, the transmission fluid, coolant, maybe the wires if needed. Look in the book, it will tell you everything you need to do. If you go to a dealer or mechanic, they will get you for a few hundred dollars. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can save ALOT of money. Put some Redline Fuel System Cleaner in it. But, if you ignore it, it will die on you.
Your truck is probably misfiring because of inacurate timing. If your truck only has dirty injectors, just try using injector cleaner. don't get the cheap brand from the gas station. Go to an auto parts store and buy it. It should clean your injectors. If not, you can replace your injectors
After 90,000 miles I would say you should run to a auto parts store and get some stuff called Seafoam it will clean out more than just your injectors, and use it more than every 90,000 miles.
At 90,000 km I,d put a set of plugs in it , Have you changed the fuel filter? Drive-ability issues are usually best dealt with by a reputable mechanic. Does the truck fire any check engine light when the truck sputters. Don,t just throw parts at the truck hoping you hit the problem , although I would still put plugs in it, and clean the throttle body , change the fuel filter and put a good quality injection system cleaner through the fuel system.
its your fuel injector.. call my dad he fixes everything! He great