Friday, September 23, 2011

Why won't my 99 Tahoe start after changing the intake manifold gaskets?

I checked all connections, I have spark, I have fuel. It started when I disassembled it, now it cranks and tries to fire but won't stay running and floods. I pulled the plugs and they were soaked. I replaced the plugs, cap, and rotor and same result. Could the fuel injectors have gotten clogged somehow when I cleaned the intake? I basically just cleaned the gasket surface and left the plenum intact. Any suggestions?
Why won't my 99 Tahoe start after changing the intake manifold gaskets?
First, make EXTRA sure you put everything back in the right places...



the only other thing I can think of...



Check the Fuel pressure regulator... if the diaphragm in it is cracked, the fuel will go into the intake manifold throught the vacuum tube. If it is a fuel injected vehicle, follow the fuel line from the manifold until you find a small cylinder. You should see a vacuum tube attached to it. Pull the vacuum tube off and see if you can smell gas in the tube. If yes, then replace the fuel pressure regulator, if not, then go back and look at everything you touched when you did the repair.



I have been in the same situation where later I found something not right or not connected properly like I plugged something in, but it wasn't fully plugged in, etc....



As for the injectors getting clogged, that is a slight possibility, but usually if you disconnected the fuel line and got a little bit of something dirty in the line, it should only clogged up one or 2 injectors... it will start, but will run rough... so I doubt this is it.



The fact that you have spark, really says the problem is with the fuel... ie, maybe you need to check the fuel line connections, fuel pressure regulator, camshaft sensor ( anything that is fuel related) etc...