Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Can I clean my fuel injectors outside of the motor?

I have a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. Fuel injected. The thing wont start and I'm getting pressurized gas at the fuel rail. I just changed the in tank pump and filter. I sprayed some either in the throttle body but it wont start. Turns over with good compression and oil pressure. I'm at a loss as to what I might have done wrong changing the pump that would keep it from starting. Budd of mine says to soak the injectors in Varsal ? can that work?
Can I clean my fuel injectors outside of the motor?
I doubt that it is an injector problem. A common problem on V8 Jeeps is the ignition coil goes bad.

Have you checked for a good strong spark from the plug wires? The spark should jump at least a 1/4 inch.

You stated that you have Fuel pressure, so that eliminates anything to do with the fuel pump or supply system. If you have NO spark at all, you may also want to check the Crank Sensor that is mounted on the Bell Housing.
Can I clean my fuel injectors outside of the motor?
No, this will only clean the outside of the injectors and can damage many of them.



This is a classic Jeep issue. Most likely the crank sensor has gone bad. I have replaced thousands of them for this exact thing. That said it's speculation without actually diagnosing the vehicle.

Look at it this way, there is a 90% chance that is the issue. If it's not right now, it will be soon. May as well go ahead with it.



P.S. DO NOT SPRAY ETHER IN A GASOLINE ENGINE!!!!! BOOM!!!!!
Back to basics: Do we have spark at the spark plugs? Have your buddy confirm this.

2nd question is why did we change the pump? Because it would not start?

There are 2 questions we ask with a no start problem: (help me) 1, do we have spark? And # 2, do we have fuel? Basics 101 More info and we can help. Good Luck TW