Friday, September 23, 2011

I have fuel going to my engine but it's not getting fuel. I changed the fuel regulator. What next?

The truck is a 1991 F150, inline six. 4.9L



We know it's pumping gas. We know it has gas, but the gas isn't getting to the engine. Maybe fuel injectors? How do I tell? The engine sat for over a year but ran fine before it sat. Please help. I will send you homemade cookies if you help me start this truck!!! (seriously).
I have fuel going to my engine but it's not getting fuel. I changed the fuel regulator. What next?
It may not be injectors. One do you have spark? If not it%26quot;s probably the DIS or TFI module. Next thing is the timing chain. a week ago I bought a Ranger $75 becauce they couldn't get it to run, they put in a new injectors, fuel pumps, DIS module, sparkplugs, wires coils. I put in a $7 timming belt, runs great. If there was a injector problem the computer would tell you, Remember the four things a engine needs Air, Fuel, Spark, and all at the right time. If your truck has 100,000 miles or more it's probably the timing chain.



Sorry gearbox, you are right, the 300 6 has gears but they can still wear. I lost the gear on my distributor at 300K miles once.



kwhotrods's I can't believe I forgot about that one. It's the first thing I check on the roadside. great answer
I have fuel going to my engine but it's not getting fuel. I changed the fuel regulator. What next?
see if your injectors are firing...listen to them with a stetoscope or long screwdriver held to your ear..they should be clicking loudly when turming over
Fuel filter?
A fuel pressure gauge will let you know if the engine is getting enough fuel pressure to run. If it is, then use a test light to see if the injectors have power to one side, and a pulsing ground to the other side of the wiring connector. If all this is good, then the injectors are bad. The fuel in them may have varnished, clogging them up. 1991 is pre dpi, or deposit resistant injectors, and were bad about that. And chocolate chip!!!
If there is no fuel at the injectors check the emergency shut off switch.
step one no timing chain.. has a gear



Ok how far is it getting gas? I'm asking as those trucks went from a low pressure pump in the tank, to a switcher, to a higher pressure on the rail to a fuel filter to the fuel line and then the regulator to go back



if you have any blocks along the way it will stop it... also try starting the truck without any jumping off the starter solenoid if someone is doing that, sometimes it messes them up like that....



But after that, you will need to get a fuel pressure gauge.. in the US I think this is one of the things autozone and other mass stores lend out to customers for a fee .. you will need about 50 psi of fuel pressure at the rail for it to be really healthy.

if you have 50 psi of pressure, then you will need to see if the engien is sparking to see if the ignition module may have gone out.. if yes you have other issues...



But my guess is you have fuel pressure but either not enough or the fuel is so varnished that it won;t start.. and would need to be cleaned to get working again.
the pressure regulator may be gummed up, try some starting fluid and see if the pump will push the fuel thru while the engine is running on the starting fluid, it might take a couple of times