Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why am I hearing metal bang around in my intake?

I recently changed my fuel injector on my 96 cavalier....right after I changed it, I noticed metal banging around in what I think could be the intake. My car would crank and run briefly, after it ran a little bit the metal would start, then it would shut off. Now it doesnt wanna crank at all, very strange
Why am I hearing metal bang around in my intake?
Your valve train meaning cam-lobes and or worn valves may cause this %26quot;knock%26quot; in the engine. Lack of oil and or cheap fuel can be the blame. Also, if you have the 2.4 they are known for this problem. Most came standard with the 2.2. Also timing is effected causing engine loping, stalling and or surging.
Why am I hearing metal bang around in my intake?
Sounds like it's pinging. You are running very lean so maybe you messed up the injector swap. Why did you have to change it in the first place? Unless you dropped a screw in there or something, I don't see how you'd hear anything %26quot;banging%26quot; around in there anyway. Banging is a big noise in my book. Did you mean clinking? Sounds more like the timing chain/belt has jumped.
That is never a good sign!



That it won't crank is very discouraging. Broken engine discouraging.



Remove the intake manifold and look for damage from a screw or part of an injector that is where it does not belong. if you see damage it is probably time to call a mechanic. If not try charging your battery and cranking the engine again. You could get lucky.
  • web ftp hosting
  • ireland
  •