Thursday, October 6, 2011

2006 dodge 3500 diesel fuel injector problems?

I have had several injectors replaced in my truck. It started at 77k then at 85k then at 97k and 106k then about 186k and 193k. I dont run a chip of any kind I dont run off road fuel or bio. I have always taken it to dodge dealers they have had no answer for why I am dropping so many. I change fuel filter every 12k. I have spoken with cummins reps with no help. I dont idle alot except in rush hour traffic. While it was still under warrenty they replaced all 6 injectors dropped the tank and cleaned it out replaced the fuel pump the aux pump cleaned the fuel lines out replaced fuel filter and all six injectors. It still drops injectors. It is not always the same one going out. SO can anyone give any input on what is going on with this truck?????
2006 dodge 3500 diesel fuel injector problems?
Its not uncommon for these trucks to loose injectors. I'm assuming that they only replaced one injector at each of the visits not all six each time.



Even though you are doing the best you can with what you have its likely a filtration problem.



Bosch recommends 3 micron filtration for the injection system yet the best filter you can get for the stock canister is a Baldwin unit with 5 micron filtration. The best Fleetguard filter is a 7 micron unit however there is also a 10 micron unit that fits in the same housing.



There are a couple companies out there that make an add on filter kit that allows you to run a 2 micron spin on fuel filter after the stock filter canister. Some Dodge dealerships who are aware of the problem sell trucks with the units already installed.



This is one of the best modifications you can do for the truck. I have one on my truck made by Glacier diesel. My fuel is filtered to 7 micron first by the stock canister and then to 2 micron with the spin on filter. After reading Bosch's recommendations for the CP3 system and knowing what Dodge supplied me with I feel its the best I could do.





If you want, come on over to http://www.dieseltruckresource.com they have a forums section thats free. There are lots of knowledgeable members there who can really help you with your truck.
2006 dodge 3500 diesel fuel injector problems?
i haven't ever seen a cummins do this before,maybe one every few years but not like yours is doing,the only thing that usually causes that too happen is too much pressure or bad fuel and i don't thing that's the case with yours,and you have changed the filters often on it,the only other thing i could recommend trying would be a fuel additive,it couldn't make things any worse than they already are,it has to be dirt getting stuck in them some how,that may not be it,but id try a good fuel additive to it,it shouldn't hurt it none,good luck with it.
May be is an electronic problem... Computer checked?