Thursday, October 6, 2011

I had to replace one fuel injector, should i replace all?

I have a 1999 f-550 with 156k miles on it. The truck was running ruff and I took it to ford dealer who did a compression check and said it was good and replaced the injector. It ran smooth after the new injector, but recommended I should change them all plus the glow plugs. should I .
I had to replace one fuel injector, should i replace all?
Normally it would be advisable but to save money do the following first.

Bring it to a independant shop and have them pressure test the injectors and see if they need to be replaced. this test will let you know if they are clogged or failing.

I have a F250 diesel 6.9 and have only replaced 2 injectors in the life of the truck it is a 1985 and has over 300000 miles.
I had to replace one fuel injector, should i replace all?
Yes I would, thats like replacing just one spark plug. You should replace all of them.
No
Depends on why the injector failed. If it just broke, one is OK. If fuel is full of gunk, other injectors will fail sooner or later. If injector is easy to acess, labor is no big deal. If acess is very difficult, it may be cost effective to replace them all. Do you replace all light bulbs when one fails? No.
your dealer should be able to test the remaining injectors, at the cost of them I would just replace the one for now, if your not useing an additive for todays low sulfure fuel, you probably should start, that will prolong the life of your injectors, as for your glow plugs.............they can be tested also, just replace the bad ones, if your engine is starting fine, chances are the glow plugs are ok though
There is a difference between %26quot;recommend%26quot; and %26quot;needs%26quot;. It's like recommending all new tires when you had a blowout.